Learn about the Myron L Company Ultrapen PT1.
In this video, we will give an overview of the Ultrapen PT1 instrument and its functions.
The Ultrapen PT1 package includes:
– the PT1 Pocket Tester Pen with battery installed
– Measurement Scoop
– Pocket Clip
– and Operating Instructions
The Ultrapen PT1 has 5 different modes of measurement. These include:
– Cond KCl mode, which measures Conductivity for potassium chloride solutions, the measurement is displayed as microsiemens (μS). This is the standard mode for most conductivity applications.
– TDS 442 mode, which measures Total Dissolved Solids for Natural Water solutions, the measurement is displayed as parts per million (ppm).
– TDS NaCl mode, which measures TDS for sodium chloride solutions, the measurement is displayed as ppm.
– SALT 442 mode, which measures Salinity for Natural Water solutions, the measurement is displayed as parts per thousand (ppt).
– SALT NaCl mode, which measures Salinity for sodium chloride solutions, the measurement is displayed as parts per thousand (ppt)
A few other specifications we’d like to highlight are the Durable, Fully Encapsulated waterproof Electronics with Automatic Temperature Compensation and Autoranging measurements. The instrument casing is made out of anodized aluminum, so it can withstand harsh environments.
– The PT1 has an Accuracy of ±1% of READING designed to give Reliable Repeatable Results.
-The PT1 also has a measuremante range of 1 – 9,999 for Conductivity, TDS, and Salinity. with a temperature range of 32 – 160 degrees F
With all of the different functions and durable design, this small pen can handle a variety of applications. Now that you are a bit more familiar with the PT1, we will demonstrate how to use its various functions.
All the functions of the PT1 are activated by pressing the button on the end.
If you press the button and release, it will turn on and prepare to take a reading in the last mode that you used.
The screen will display the software version, then the Measurement mode, then the red light will begin blinking rapidly, this is when you will need to submerge the pen to get the measurement. Wehn the light blinking slows, this is when the pen is measuring the solution. When the red light stays red, the measurement is complete and will display on the screen.
To switch modes, press and release the button to turn it on, then simply press and hold the button to cycle through the different menu options. As the options change, just release the button to select that menu option. The screen will ask you to ‘Push and Hold’ the button to confirm your choice. If there are sub-menu options (such as choosing the Solution Selection menu), then as you hold the button, it will continue to cycle through those sub-menu options. Again, you simply release the button to choose one. Then push and hold to confirm. the PT1 will show ‘SAVED’ on the display.
These are the different menu options:
– Calibration mode (shown as CAL)
– Solution selection mode (shown as SOL SEL)
– Factory calibration mode (shown as FAC CAL)
– Temperature selection mode (shown as C* F* temp)
– Escape mode for exiting the menu (shown as ESC)
To calibrate the Ultrapen PT1, attach the measurement scoop to the end of teh pen. Then rinse it three times with your calibtaion solution.
Start the calibration by pressing and releasing the button to turn it on, then simply press and hold the button to cycle through the different menu options. Release the button when ‘CAL’ is shown. When the red light starts blinking rapidly, pour the calibration soution into the scoop and wait. The pen will read teh solution and automatically adjust the calibration settings based on teh reading. This assumes you are using calibration solution that is not contaminted or expired and that your scoop and measuremetn cell is clean.
A quick tip when using theinstrument:
– When submerging the pen for measurements, make sure there are not bubbles trapped on the cell epectrodes by tapping it to knock them free.
If you have more questions about this instrument, please submit them in the reviews section on the product details page at MyronLMeters.com.